You know how I told you about starting several DIY projects that I may or may not finish? Well 1 down and 2 to go! Giddyup! Here's DIY #1.
This is what my spice cupboard looked like:
It's a smorgasbord of spice containers in varying sizes, colors, shapes, and brands. The worst part is they all have those dadgum sprinkle tops that you inevitably break a nail trying to remove because NO recipe calls for a "sprinkle" of something, nor does it help your sanity to attempt to sprinkle a spice into a 1/4 teaspoon. I like to be able to just dunk the appropriate measuring spoon in the jar and -shazaam! Got me some basil.
I thought the ol' spice cabinet was due for a little "prettifying".
So I ordered a gazillion little glass jars from http://www.specialtybottle.com/ (Ikea has cute 4 packs for $2.99 and the Container Store has several fun options as well). I chose these because they are fun and have an opening wide enough for a tablespoon.
I popped them in the dishwasher for a rinse and let 'em dry overnight (wanted to be sure the inside of those suckers were bone dry) and proceeded to print my own labels. I purchased oval labels from http://www.onlinelabels.com/
Here's what I came up with:
I toyed with the idea of using more color in the labels but decided that it'd take away from all the fun colors of the spices once they were in the jar.
I popped on the labels and began transferring the spices. I made a paper funnel to use with some of the ground spice jars that were more full so I didn't end up with a spice festival all over my table!
And here's the now more uniform spice cabinet!
now on to the art project......