Friday, September 3, 2010

All dogs go to heaven....Part 2

If you haven't read part one this oughta get you caught up.

So the lie of all lies was about to go down. I was nervous and determined to keep this dog.

I could have won an Emmy, maybe an Oscar even...I was good...really good.

**(please keep in mind that none of the following actually happened - it's was my crafty dog keeping lie, but sadly does happen all too often which is why it was so believable...awful, but believable)**

I proceeded to explain that Tanya and I "saved" these poor puppies from an awful, terrible person. You see, we were on our way to this party and driving along one of the busier streets in town which wound along the lake. Suddenly we looked ahead and saw a cardboard box that looked like it'd been tipped over along the side of the road. In the middle of the road just a little further along were 2 little puppies who'd fallen victim to the cars passing by. Yep, squished. (I know. I'm awful.)  Then, we saw them.... wandering down the side of the road. I can't remember how many we told her we "saved from peril," I think 3 or 4. Some rotten, rotten soul had left these poor puppies in a box on the side of the road, which the snuggly, innocent puppies somehow tipped over and had gotten out (those little pretend rascals!). Two of their siblings had already met their maker. We couldn't just drive by, we had to save them...it was our duty as decent human beings to save them.

....aaaaand that was the story that got her.

You'd take 'em in after that story. You'd be a social outcast if you didn't. I made it impossible for my parents to say no. Tanner got a bath that night and a trip to the vet the next day. I'm pretty sure he had a name within 48 hours.

It wasn't all bubble gum and roses after that though. My parents are smart...and sneaky. Mom and Dad knew they couldn't run around with a bull horn asking if anyone wanted a cute little puppy, so they went James Bond on me and stratigically placed little 3x5 note cards with Tanner's info and a cute picture of him on bulletin boards at the vets office and in the church.

Unfortunately, they lived with Inspector Gadget and I found every single one and "accidentally" took them down. I wanted to ask them what they were thinking and ground them for trying to give Tanner away without telling me, but that would mean they knew I'd taken them down and they'd just put more up. So I kept it my little secret.

Tanner finally won my parents over, or maybe they just gave in! I'm glad he grew on them because I then went off to college (8 miles away) and he stayed at my parents house where he had a backyard, no noisy neighbors to bark at , and a food supplier with a larger income.
He was a weird dog, but he was our dog and as quirky as he was he fit right in to our quirky family! There's something about a pet that just makes going through life a little more fun. What are your favorite pet stories??



Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn. Don't be shy, tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flavors

accessories (5) adventures (3) advice (2) appetizers (1) awesomeness (4) Baby #3 (1) baby gear (1) Baby Hare (16) Baby Hare #2 (7) Baby Hare #3 (2) Baylor (2) beliefs (2) birthdays (4) blogs (5) Brooklyn (42) camera equipment (2) cars (1) celebrities (2) chic (3) cleaning (2) concerts (1) crazy (7) dance (1) decisions (4) design (2) diy (9) dogs (4) dreams (1) Dylan (14) etsy.com (3) facebook (1) faith (2) family (32) fatness (4) favorites (2) fear (2) Final Four (1) food (12) friends (10) furniture (2) gifts (1) goals (5) Griffin (18) gym (1) hair (2) happiness (4) health (3) holidays (6) home (9) honey jars (1) husband (5) immaturity (2) infantile spasms (2) insanity (5) invitations (1) joy (23) lessons (8) life (44) love (6) marriage (3) me (16) memories (14) milestones (49) movies (1) music (2) NCAA Tournament (1) nerdiness (1) nursery (3) office supplies (1) Oklahoma (1) Oklahoma Basketball (1) Oregon (5) organizing (2) OU (1) parents (1) parties (1) pets (2) photography (4) pictures (19) pregnancy (17) projects (14) randomness (9) rants 'n raves (3) recipes (8) renovation (1) renovations (2) school (1) shopping (5) silly (1) soup (1) sports (2) style (1) summer (3) travel (8) TV (1) vacations (2) vegetarian (1) videos (1) wedding gifts (1) weddings (1) weekends (7) windows (1) wisdon (1) work (5) WOU (1) wussiness (2)