Wednesday, May 12, 2010

What happens when the other half leaves for Seattle....


I think I'm a pretty creative person...in my head at least. In my head I dream up the perfect wedding centerpiece, the most amazing party dress,  the exact artwork piece to go above our buffet in the dining room.

The problem lies in getting said imaginary items to materialize. I can't sew, paint, and couldn't keep a flower alive if you paid me. That sad fact usually leaves me store hopping & googling, hoping that someone out there shares my incredible imagination (and has the skills to boot) and has already created that dress, arrangement, or painting. What can I say I'm a dreamer.

Every once and a while I get crazy and actually try to make my "vision" into a reality. Who's ready for a DIY potential disaster? Here's my latest....

Prior to moving up here I had been given several pieces of older furniture. If you know my in-laws you know they love keeping every piece of furniture in the family. :) I have come to the decision that I will accept select pieces under the condition that these pieces can be repurposed to my liking. It's a win-win! I get free guinea pig projects and they get a few square feet of their garage back. 

The most recent culprits are 2 end table/nightstands and a side table/2 drawer dresser. Here are the before pics (well, I finally remembered to take them after I'd gotten into the sanding stage!)




These 2 are just getting redone in black.....


This will be my first attempt to go wild and try a "shabby chic" distressed bedside dresser!


after some sanding, a few coats of paint, more sanding, sealing, a little spraypaint, some distressing and some sore muscles here's how it turned out.........





Pardon the hideous bed...we haven't gotten our new king size bedding yet! It's a work in progress :)


and finally....
(it's actually a bit more teal than the pic shows but this will do)

I still have to do some more distressing to the wood as well as the handles- they look too new


I wouldn't say I have a future in customizing furniture, but it feels good knowing that I can do more than I think I am capable of!!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Your turn. Don't be shy, tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flavors

accessories (5) adventures (3) advice (2) appetizers (1) awesomeness (4) Baby #3 (1) baby gear (1) Baby Hare (16) Baby Hare #2 (7) Baby Hare #3 (2) Baylor (2) beliefs (2) birthdays (4) blogs (5) Brooklyn (42) camera equipment (2) cars (1) celebrities (2) chic (3) cleaning (2) concerts (1) crazy (7) dance (1) decisions (4) design (2) diy (9) dogs (4) dreams (1) Dylan (14) etsy.com (3) facebook (1) faith (2) family (32) fatness (4) favorites (2) fear (2) Final Four (1) food (12) friends (10) furniture (2) gifts (1) goals (5) Griffin (18) gym (1) hair (2) happiness (4) health (3) holidays (6) home (9) honey jars (1) husband (5) immaturity (2) infantile spasms (2) insanity (5) invitations (1) joy (23) lessons (8) life (44) love (6) marriage (3) me (16) memories (14) milestones (49) movies (1) music (2) NCAA Tournament (1) nerdiness (1) nursery (3) office supplies (1) Oklahoma (1) Oklahoma Basketball (1) Oregon (5) organizing (2) OU (1) parents (1) parties (1) pets (2) photography (4) pictures (19) pregnancy (17) projects (14) randomness (9) rants 'n raves (3) recipes (8) renovation (1) renovations (2) school (1) shopping (5) silly (1) soup (1) sports (2) style (1) summer (3) travel (8) TV (1) vacations (2) vegetarian (1) videos (1) wedding gifts (1) weddings (1) weekends (7) windows (1) wisdon (1) work (5) WOU (1) wussiness (2)