Wednesday, November 9, 2011

DIY: Lamp

I'm back at it again!

I couldn't find a nursery lamp I liked, well in the price range I wanted, (babies don't need $80 lamps), so I made my own (shocker)! I used the "pick your own" base and shade from Lowe's (Target and wally-world have the pick your own options too). Cost was about $20 bucks.


Used 1 yard of fabric (same used in her bedding), fabric glue (which I already had) and bought some decorative trim from JoAnn's (which I didn't end up using). Started by peeling off the fabric trim from the top and bottom of the shade so the edges would be smooth.

 I laid the shade on its side and traced the edge of the top and bottom as I slooooowly rolled it along, then cut about 1/2 inch extra past either side of the traced lines to be able to have fabric to fold over the edges. I also cut it and extra inch or so longer than it needed to be so I could fold over the edge and make a nice seam (as opposed to my jagged cut edge- I've never been good at cutting a straight line!)
This a small lamp (10-12 inch base and 8 inch shade) so really 1/2 yard of fabric would be plenty.

Used my handy fabric glue and started by gluing the edge of the fabric to the seam of the shade popped in a few pins and let it set for about 15 minutes before proceeding glue in the edges, pinning and being sure to pull tight as I went along.


Then I began brushing the overhang edges with the fabric glue and tucking them tightly under the top and bottom rims.


Once finished, I was getting ready to attach the puff-ball pink trim to the bottom and felt it would make it look cheesy. I liked the modern clean lines so decided to leave it as is. (I can always add trim later if I get all girly girl crazy)

Here's the lamp turned on (notice the frilly pink edging laying unused in the background!) Remember when picking your fabric that the thicker and darker it is the less light will go through. Took about an hour and a half  to do and the best part is, like the shades, you can do it to compliment any room!

The bedding just arrived yesterday so there's some sheet washing and bedskirt ironing to do and I still have to paint her nightstand but hopefully there should be some updated nursery pics coming in the next few weeks!

2 comments:

  1. i recently bought a super cute lamp at lowes! i had no idea. and i totally agree…babies do not need expensive lighting. it looks super cute! on a side note…i think i'm about to break down and buy a pricey lamp. i want something huge, white and pretty for the bedroom. i'm kinda freaking out about it. spending $200 on a lamp?! the woes of being an adult...

    ReplyDelete

Your turn. Don't be shy, tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flavors

accessories (5) adventures (3) advice (2) appetizers (1) awesomeness (4) Baby #3 (1) baby gear (1) Baby Hare (16) Baby Hare #2 (7) Baby Hare #3 (2) Baylor (2) beliefs (2) birthdays (4) blogs (5) Brooklyn (42) camera equipment (2) cars (1) celebrities (2) chic (3) cleaning (2) concerts (1) crazy (7) dance (1) decisions (4) design (2) diy (9) dogs (4) dreams (1) Dylan (14) etsy.com (3) facebook (1) faith (2) family (32) fatness (4) favorites (2) fear (2) Final Four (1) food (12) friends (10) furniture (2) gifts (1) goals (5) Griffin (18) gym (1) hair (2) happiness (4) health (3) holidays (6) home (9) honey jars (1) husband (5) immaturity (2) infantile spasms (2) insanity (5) invitations (1) joy (23) lessons (8) life (44) love (6) marriage (3) me (16) memories (14) milestones (49) movies (1) music (2) NCAA Tournament (1) nerdiness (1) nursery (3) office supplies (1) Oklahoma (1) Oklahoma Basketball (1) Oregon (5) organizing (2) OU (1) parents (1) parties (1) pets (2) photography (4) pictures (19) pregnancy (17) projects (14) randomness (9) rants 'n raves (3) recipes (8) renovation (1) renovations (2) school (1) shopping (5) silly (1) soup (1) sports (2) style (1) summer (3) travel (8) TV (1) vacations (2) vegetarian (1) videos (1) wedding gifts (1) weddings (1) weekends (7) windows (1) wisdon (1) work (5) WOU (1) wussiness (2)