Thursday, November 17, 2011

A random musing

This is where the tag line in my blog rings true. This is more of a "random musing" than a "nugget of wisdom" but I've been trying to figure this out for months and I just wanted to throw out what's going on in my head. Agree or disagree, I care not cause it's my blog and ya don't have to read it if you don't wanna. *nanny nanny boo boo*

I try not to get too political on here mostly because I'm one of those people who likes to hear all the info, process it, and vote based on what I feel fits in best with my values and what's best for my family. So I don't necessarily see myself as a member of any particular party and my record as a voter would show just that. So on to the reason for the post.

Occupy Wall Street (or whatever cities they are occupying) - I don't get it.

It's been going on for 2 months, and I'm still somewhat confused. I kind of get that they are mad at the government and big corporations etc. but what do you want to achieve from the protest? I've been to their website to try to educate myself, cause hey- I'm all about people protesting for change but even their website is vague. This is directly from the occupywallst.org site: 

"Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We are the 99%  that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants."

First of all, I find it a little funny that they're using the Arab Spring tactic to "achieve our ends" what ends are they?? Help me out here. Do they want big corps. shut down? Held to more strict standards? Politicians out of office?  Also, the Arab Spring tactic was used in Egypt and Libya to overthrow their government, it worked because that was their goal, their demand so to speak. Is that the OWS goal? You have to state your demands otherwise how can people want to join you.

Secondly, they are technically like 2% of the 99%. I'm pretty sure Oprah and Bill Gates are in that 1% they are all going ballistic on and they busted their booty to get to where they are now, because they live in a country that has no limit to the success you can achieve if you bust your arse. Oprah and Bill aren't greedy or corrupt.  Also, isn't it a bit hypocritical to be all cranky at the government for spending taxpayer dollars to bail out big businesses, but then only add cost to the taxpayers in increased police and security hours and by trashing our local parks and public areas.

I guess I figure as a citizen my most powerful tools for change are my vote and where I spend my money. I just think the group could do more if they organize to boycott certain business and vote out the people they don't like and vote in people who will change things. If you're mad at Bank of America, don't camp out in their lobby and harass their customers, inform the world why they are terrible and encourage them to move their money elsewhere. A bank with no paying customers is just a pretty building. Wouldn't that be more productive? You don't want govt bailing out companies? Vote against every politician who supported it in the next election. I suppose I'm just a put your money (and your vote) where your mouth is kinda gal.


On a brighter note (literally!)......
I am putting up Christmas decorations this weekend. Yes, I know it's not thanksgiving yet and no, I don't care that it's not thanksgiving yet. I like Christmas and I want my decor up to enjoy for an extra week. Also, I'm realizing that bending over and getting up and down from the floor are getting more and more difficult with each passing week so time is of the essence people, I'm only getting fatter you know.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your turn. Don't be shy, tell me what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Flavors

accessories (5) adventures (3) advice (2) appetizers (1) awesomeness (4) Baby #3 (1) baby gear (1) Baby Hare (16) Baby Hare #2 (7) Baby Hare #3 (2) Baylor (2) beliefs (2) birthdays (4) blogs (5) Brooklyn (42) camera equipment (2) cars (1) celebrities (2) chic (3) cleaning (2) concerts (1) crazy (7) dance (1) decisions (4) design (2) diy (9) dogs (4) dreams (1) Dylan (14) etsy.com (3) facebook (1) faith (2) family (32) fatness (4) favorites (2) fear (2) Final Four (1) food (12) friends (10) furniture (2) gifts (1) goals (5) Griffin (18) gym (1) hair (2) happiness (4) health (3) holidays (6) home (9) honey jars (1) husband (5) immaturity (2) infantile spasms (2) insanity (5) invitations (1) joy (23) lessons (8) life (44) love (6) marriage (3) me (16) memories (14) milestones (49) movies (1) music (2) NCAA Tournament (1) nerdiness (1) nursery (3) office supplies (1) Oklahoma (1) Oklahoma Basketball (1) Oregon (5) organizing (2) OU (1) parents (1) parties (1) pets (2) photography (4) pictures (19) pregnancy (17) projects (14) randomness (9) rants 'n raves (3) recipes (8) renovation (1) renovations (2) school (1) shopping (5) silly (1) soup (1) sports (2) style (1) summer (3) travel (8) TV (1) vacations (2) vegetarian (1) videos (1) wedding gifts (1) weddings (1) weekends (7) windows (1) wisdon (1) work (5) WOU (1) wussiness (2)